Anyone else in a first draft frenzy? How do you get to The End?
Top Five Ways to Finish a First Draft
- Write Fast. Don't question it, just do it.
- Vomit Words. No one will see the mess, so don't mop it up with revision. It's okay if a few bits get in your hair.
- Find Ways to Hop the Wall or Fill Plot Holes. We all hit them, whether it is writer's block or a plot hole, but you can push through it. I usually take a break and eat something or sleep on it. Sometimes I skip ahead to a scene I know will work and then go back and connect the dots.
- Don't Go on the Internet. I know this is awkward because you're on the Internet right now. Read my fifth tip and then got off. Seriously, it is a massive time sucker. I didn't go on this week. It hurt but now I'm 10K in.
- Have Chocolate or D Bar on Hand. I've mentioned this before, but really, everyone should go to D Bar in Denver.
writing sidebar: I'm pantsing this story so I'm running into a bunch of plot holes, as a swear-by-it plotter, I don't how you pantsters do it. Respect.