A-Z blog Challenge: Post By Brian Schwartz
Here’s the top 10 reasons why digital is better than print for both authors & readers:
1. Ease of access – With the proliferation of eReaders - you can have your ebook anytime, anywhere. All of your favorite books will always be with you.
2. Cost effective – $5-10 ebooks are easy on the readers budget. And it’s only possible to sell a book for .99 and still make a profit because there’s only the seller & the author. The cost to publish digitally is a fraction of what it costs to publish in print.
3. Shared highlights – On the Kindle, when a reader highlights a passage, other readers are able to see the highlight and at the click of a button see all the highlights from the book. Imagine having an ever expanding set of built-in cliff notes!
4. Integrated dictionary – whenever there’s a word you aren’t sure of the meaning for, you move over it and get the entire definition.
5. Ability to share – Many eReaders today are integrating a share feature, where readers can share passages from your book with others via social media. In the world of social media it’s not about what you say, but what others say about you that matters.
6. Searchable – Can’t remember where that passage was you want to review? It’s only a search away. Many eReaders also all you to search every book on your eReader for a particular phrase or keyword.
7. Live hyperlinks – Similar to an expanded form of endnotes – live hyperlinks can take your readers to the source (in real-time) and allow an author to expand on a concept. The reader & author are only a click away from each other.
8. Text-to-Speech – Too tired to read, or want to make your book more accessible to those with poor eyesight or blind? The option to ‘hear’ the words on the screen is simply brilliant.
9. Improved indexing – because ebooks contain computer-readable text, when indexed by the seller (ie. Amazon), the searchability of books extends beyond the titles & description written by the author or publisher. This means your ebook will show up for new search terms as every single word in an ebook can now be indexed.
10. Out of print no more! --This is the single most powerful concept – your book will never go out of print and continue to pay royalties to you and your survivors forever.
Do you have an e-reader?
Brian Schwartz is the ‘Kindle Expert’ and provides essential services for authors & publishers to succeed in the exploding digital book marketplaces like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Apple. He can be reached at www.KindleExpert.com