post by Kerrie
I have conference on the brain right now. I recently finished getting the registration up for the 2011 Northern Colorado Writers Conference. It is always a lot of work, but I get so excited when it is all up and ready to go because that means the conference is just around the corner.
My personal opinion is that every writer should attend one conference a year. Of course I am partial to mine, but there are so many wonderful conferences around the country to choose from, you shouldn't have a problem finding one that fits your needs. (Visit Shaw Guides for conference information).
Here are my
Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Attend a Writers Conference
10. Education: You can learn so much from the different sessions. I have been freelance writing for over a decade and I still walk away from every conference with some new piece of helpful information.
9. Networking: There are always new and fascinating people to meet.
8. Connections: At a conference there is typically time to connect not only with other writers, but usually with agents and editors.
7. Energy: The amazing amount of creative energy that comes from being around so many writers is enough to keep anyone going for months.
6. Feedback: Many times at conferences there is are opportunities to get feedback on your writing through round-table sessions, one-page readings or by talking with other writers.
5. Staying Current: Conferences are a great way to stay current on what is happening in the publishing industry.
4. Encouragement: Writers are a supportive and encouraging bunch, so you can find affirmation that you are on the right track.
3. Fun: There is always a lot of fun and laughter at the event.
2. Escape: It is not too often you get the opportunity to leave the real world ( laundry, jobs, kids, spouses...) behind and focus solely on your writing.
1. Motivation: Conferences are the perfect place to recharge your writing batteries and revisit why you love writing so much.
Do you plan on attending a writers conference in 2011?