Post by NCW Director Kerrie Flanagan
After the success of the first Northern Colorado Writers Conference five years ago, I had Olympic-sized dreams. I had dreams of creating an event that welcomed all writers regardless of experience or genre, one that brought in agents and editors, and one that had 200 attendees.
As I head into the 5th annual conference I am thrilled with how the event has evolved and grown. It does cater to all writers and from the feedback I’ve received I know that everyone does feel welcome. I am able to bring in agents and editors. (in the past we have had Chuck Sambuchino, Kristin Nelson, Andrea Brown, Jon Sternfeld and others). And each year attendance has increased.
The first year we had 45 attendees, year two we saw 80, year three it was 100.
Last year it was 150.
This year I want to go for gold!
I want to be able to reach out to 200 writers and get them motivated and excited about their writing.
I am pulling out all the stops for this year’s event:
• Stephen J. Cannell, Author of the critically acclaimed Shane Scully series and writer/producer of more than 40 shows including Rockford Files, A-Team, 21 Jump Street and Greatest American Hero is the opening keynote speaker
• Everyone attending gets the hardcover copy of Cannell’s latest release the Pallbearers.
• 29 workshops to choose from
• Agent and Editor pitch sessions
• A one-hour improv show by
Bovine Metropolis Theater to close out the event
• I'm offering a free pre-conference workshop
• The conference takes place in beautiful Colorado
• Door Prizes
• Networking opportunities
• A chance to recharge your creative energy
We have been watching the Olympics and have seen the hard work, practice and dedication that goes into being a successful athlete. Becoming a successful writer takes that same kind of drive and determination. With the right attitude, tools and encouragement we can all reach the podium.
Five years ago I had a dream. It is so close to coming true now, I can almost feel it. With your help, I know this dream can happen.
Ways to help:
* Blog about the conference
* Link to it (http://www.northerncoloradowriters.com/)
* Pass the information on to your writing friends
* Tweet about it
* Register for the conference (I would love to meet you in person)
As a thank you, if you register or get someone else to register, I will send you a copy of my favorite Stephen King book, On Writing. Send me an email with your info and the name of who registered.
Thank you for supporting my dream!