I’ve taken a some great writing classes from Chris Ransick and Amy Kathleen Ryan, and I’ve read some fabulous books that have helped me to compile my own Character Sketch I thought I’d share with you all. Hope it helps you, as I am sure it will help me!
Driver’s License Stats
Photo and Video Details
Expand some of the above.
- Does your character get along with her/his family?
- How did the best friend become the best friend? What do they share in common? Where did they meet? Why do they like each other?
- How did the rival become the rival?
- How did boy/girlfriend become a partner?
- What is your character’s favourite song/book/food/hobby/person?
- What feature(s) would your character like to change about him/herself?
- What is your character’s greatest flaw? What is their greatest attribute?
- Does your character have a secret? What would happen if it was revealed?
- Describe your character’s best day?
- What is your character most scared of?
- What is your character’s most embarrassing moment?
- When was the last time your character felt pure happiness?
- If your character was granted one wish, what would it be?
- List twenty words/phrases that describe your character.
- What motivates your character?
- What or who does your character fear?
- What does your character need to achieve by the end of the story?
- What does your character want to achieve by the end of the story?
- What external factors stop your character from getting what s/he want?
Carolyn is writing her first novel, On the Heels of a Rainstorm. Visit her blog: http://carolynyalin.wordpress.com
"Ever since I can remember, I’ve wanted to write. One day I decided to just do it (thanks, Nike). My short stories have been published in Mountain Scribe Anthology 2004 and 2006, Cacophony 2005, and Our Canada. I have also contributed as an editor for The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards and the Front Range Review." ~Carolyn